Welcome Guest (Register -  Login)  Active Topics Active Topics Display List of Forum Members Memberlist Search The Forum Search Help Help
 Navigation
 Skin Chooser

Choose Skin:

There are 3 skins total.
The newest skin is BeOS

Latest Forum Posts

Total Users Online: 104

We have 0 member(s), 104 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Most Online: 617
Occured: Saturday, 6 Apr, 2024

Members Online:

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

You are visitor number 6516286

We have 70773 registered users and we have had 3 member(s) visit us in the last 24 hours and 106 new member(s) signed up in the last month.

The newest registered user is brettqb1.

Our users have posted a total of 3890 articles within 785 topics in 13 forums.
Last post by king mob

Chat
 Glastonbury Forum : Chat
Subject Topic: the real glastonbury Post ReplyPost New Topic
 the real glastonbury
<< Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
free4travellers
Posted: 18-June-2008 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote free4travellers

Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

Group: Festival Virgin
just looking back on old festivals, god how i miss the travellers, please can we have em back they were what it was all about, mental dance and music 24hrs a day plenty of room to watch bands if u were still awake that is, were they not the original glastonbury festival goers, quite middle class now

Online Status: Offline
View free4travellers's Profile Search for other posts by free4travellers Back to Top

king mob
Posted: 19-June-2008 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote king mob

Forum Steward
Forum Steward

Group: Forum Steward

The original festival goers were a bunch of very middle class hippies from London. The travellers didn't become involved with Glastonbury until the 80's & yes, they did give the festival it's life & soul until a section of them threw the goodwill of Eavis back in his face & help start a small riot in 1990 that nearly killed the festival off.

The problem with saying 'the festival is middle class now' is ignoring the facts that:

A/ More people in the UK are by definition middle class than in any time in recent history.

B/ Glastonbury has always been middle class.

The problem is that since the fence went up we've had an increase of culture tourists attending who don't want to interact, but come to have their 'Glastonbury moments' pre-packed & laid out for them. Basically there's been an increase in wankers.

This is a huge year for the festival; it's not sold out, there's huge controversy over Jay Z & the weather could decide whether the festival has to scale back it's growth in future years as another year like last year could have a further knock-on effect on next years ticket sales.

It won't ever return to the old days, but it might just trim the tourists out & it would be a better festival for it.

View king mob's Profile Search for other posts by king mob Visit king mob's Homepage Back to Top

Causy
Posted: 19-June-2008 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote Causy
Forum Steward
Forum Steward

Yeah, I don't think most peopls idea of the perfect 'Glastonbury moment' is watching their possessions being washed away while standing up to their knees in water/mud.

What is it they say, to split the chaff from the something or other.

View Causy's Profile Search for other posts by Causy Back to Top

Dave F
Posted: 20-June-2008 at 3:41am | IP Logged Quote Dave F

Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

Some interesting points here. I've been to the festival with a friend almost every year it's been on since 1992, and to be honest I think there's still a lot to like about it.

The weather's bad more often than not, but it's still like a magical village that just arises out of nowhere. I love the ambience of the festival, and think the non-music acts contribute to this (circus field, alternative futures), and I think things really come alive at night. The line up is (usually!!) pretty strong, and it's an incredible chance to catch up with / discover a wide range of bands at once and not just mainstreamers you could catch anytime on the telly. 

I don't generally agree with the nostalgia for the pre-fence days. The fence around 1992 wasn't very effective, and whilst some of the fence-jumpers were very likeable student-on-a-budget sorts, there was also a hard core who came to with no money and seemed to spend a lot of time robbing tents and starting fights. Some of the music press seem to have idealised the 'good old days' of the festival by suggesting that an element of violence spices up a festival and makes it somehow more 'edgy' or 'real', and I couldn't disagree more. No I don't go to the festival to get beaten up or have my stuff nicked or listen to morons who can't hold there drink having a scrap and upsetting other festival-goers. That's not radical or free, it's just stupid and ugly, and historically that sort of thing did happen more as a result of mass fence-jumps and consequent overcrowding.

The main things I think need changing at present are: slightly lower gate price (I can afford it but a lot of younger festival-goers can't), and the numbers need to be capped at around 120,000 - otherwise the site gets too overcrowded and when it rains the festival turns into a series of dense queues moving slowly across slippy metal roadways / quagmires trying to get from one stage to another.

They could also maybe cut the number of novelty acts / child entertainers. Yes, we all liked Rolf Harris, the nation's favourite uncle, but Shakin Stevens??? Gilbert O Sullivan ???   Garlic Bread??? - come on, guys, stop taking the piss - this is Glastonbury, not Butlins.

I think the Jay-Zee thing has been exaggerated, and regret the debate about whether disliking rap or R 'n' B makes someone a racist or not. I'll take a look at him out of curiosity and decide for myself: it's a perfectly valid genre of music, if not one I  usually like much personally, but he may turn out to have something special so let's see. I am a bit curious that in such an eclectic festival he's been billed as a headliner on the main stage when there are about 16 other stages he could have had.

For those of you who've never been to the festival in good weather, I have to say it's a whole different experience. Main difference is you can sit or lie on the grass, and don't spend all day standing up. The difference between a wet Glastonbury and a dry one is very similar to the difference between wintre and summer: in good weather everything just becomes a lot easier and less messy.

Anyway, have a good one

Dave

View Dave F's Profile Search for other posts by Dave F Back to Top

king mob
Posted: 20-June-2008 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote king mob

Forum Steward
Forum Steward

Dave F wrote:
I don't generally agree with the nostalgia for the pre-fence days. The fence around 1992 wasn't very effective, and whilst some of the fence-jumpers were very likeable student-on-a-budget sorts, there was also a hard core who came to with no money and seemed to spend a lot of time robbing tents and starting fights.

There was but the festival also had it's mix of weird & wonderful folks who are now excluded.

Dave F wrote:
Some of the music press seem to have idealised the 'good old days' of the festival by suggesting that an element of violence spices up a festival and makes it somehow more 'edgy' or 'real', and I couldn't disagree more. No I don't go to the festival to get beaten up or have my stuff nicked or listen to morons who can't hold there drink having a scrap and upsetting other festival-goers. That's not radical or free, it's just stupid and ugly, and historically that sort of thing did happen more as a result of mass fence-jumps and consequent overcrowding.

You still have people unable to hold their drink & being wankers , you still have people upsetting other festival goers, you still have thefts. Ok, the theiving has drastically decreased  but anto social behaviour has increased & the 'Glasto spirit' is, at times, thin on the ground.

Some things are better since 2002 but there's no doubt that a big chunk of what made Glastonbury what it was has gone, probably forever.

Dave F wrote:
The main things I think need changing at present are: slightly lower gate price (I can afford it but a lot of younger festival-goers can't), and the numbers need to be capped at around 120,000 - otherwise the site gets too overcrowded and when it rains the festival turns into a series of dense queues moving slowly across slippy metal roadways / quagmires trying to get from one stage to another.

The ticket price is ridiculous & the site infrastructure failed badly last year. So yes, I agree but Glastonbury has grown somewhat beyond expectations so scaling it back would be difficult.

Dave F wrote:
I think the Jay-Zee thing has been exaggerated, and regret the debate about whether disliking rap or R 'n' B makes someone a racist or not. 

It's not the fact that people dislike a musical genre, it's the obvious snobbery & racism in much of the critism over Jay Z. There's examples on various threads on this site.

Dave F wrote:
I am a bit curious that in such an eclectic festival he's been billed as a headliner on the main stage when there are about 16 other stages he could have had.

He's one of the biggest acts in the world. Yes, even bigger than Oasis or Coldplay. The Pyramid is the only place to have him.

View king mob's Profile Search for other posts by king mob Visit king mob's Homepage Back to Top

fumps
Posted: 20-June-2008 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote fumps
Festival Virgin
Festival Virgin

I'm supprised the reaction is like it is tbh.

I love hip hop but not a fan of Jay Z. i am just supprised that people just move to somewhere else instead if they dont like it.

Thats what i'm going to do.

View fumps's Profile Search for other posts by fumps Back to Top

1 User(s) are browsing this topic, 1 Guest(s) and 0 Member(s)
0 Members:
<< Prev Topic Chat Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version